How can I own a home in Thailand through freehold ownership?
If you are a foreigner who prefers to own both a home and land freehold, there is an option to purchase the land freehold through a Thai company. A lawyer or bookkeeper will help create a Thai company, with you as the majority shareholder and managing director.
Foreigners are allowed up to 49% ownership in the company, with the remaining 51% owned by at least two Thai shareholders. The foreigner can still have majority ownership and can act as the managing director and sole signatory, providing them control over the company.
Many foreigners choose this ownership route for better protection and actual ownership rights, as opposed to a land lease. However, as a company, annual taxes and a balance sheet must be filed, which can cost anywhere from 12,000 – 20,000 THB annually. It is recommended that trading on this company should be avoided, as it would complicate the tax situation if/when you decide to sell the property.